TIP: Reporting Scam Calls To The Attorney General

Like many others, I recently received a spam call  falsely claiming that the US federal government was taking legal action against me. Here is a transcript of the call:

“CH796216 The purpose of this call is regarding an enforcement action which has been executed by the U.S. Treasury Department regarding tax fraud against your name. Ignoring this would be an intentional attempt to avoid an initial appearance before the magistrate, judge or exempt jury for a federal criminal offense. So, before this matter goes to federal claim courthouse, or before you get arrested, kindly call us back on our number as soon as possible. The number to reach us is (509) 497-3166. Let me repeat the number: (509) 497-3166. Hope to hear from you soon before the charges are pressed against you. Thank you.”

Do not believe this scam, and do not respond. 

Immediately report the phone number and the details of the message to the Attorney General’s office, Division of Consumer Affairs. 

If you need any assistance in reporting to the Attorney General, please contact my office and we will help you to file the complaint.

This call was made by a female automated voice which does not speak fluidly throughout the message. It claims that the U.S. Treasury will take action against you for alleged tax fraud. If the number is called back, the operator will ask for a settlement to “protect” you from any further action.

In addition, there have been other phone numbers linked to this scam. These phone numbers are (509) 497-3163, (509) 497-3166, and (636) 274-6155.

I care about the safety and well-being of my constituents and the residents of the state of New Jersey. As it is my responsibility as your Assemblyman, I have reported the call to the Attorney General’s office. There will be an investigation into this matter and I will support their efforts to stop this scam and others like it from preying on consumers.

To file a complaint, visit the Attorney General’s Division of Consumer Affairs complaint information website or contact my office for assistance.